Tullie House Collections
Tullie House has extensive and important art collections including Fine Art, Decorative Art and Textiles.
The Fine Art collection includes 4,800 mainly British paintings, watercolours, drawings, prints, sketchbooks and a small collection of sculpture dating from around 1650 to the present day. Special strengths include: North Cumbrian artists and views dating from the 18th century to the present day including William James Blacklock, Sam Bough, Winifred Nicholson, Sheila Fell, Donald Wilkinson and Julian Cooper; 19th century artists including Samuel Palmer and the Pre-Raphaelites: D G Rossetti, Elizabeth Siddal, William Morris, Ford Madox Brown, Burne-Jones and Arthur Hughes; 20th century artists including Charles Ricketts, Paul Nash, Wyndham Lewis, Stanley Spencer and Peter Blake; 21st century artists including Keith Tyson.
The decorative art collection consists of around 2,000 items including ceramics, textiles, metalwork, musical instruments and furniture dating from around 1564 to the present day. Special strengths include: 18th and 19th century English porcelain including Chelsea, Derby, Worcester; Art pottery including William De Morgan and Martin Brothers; Simpsons of Kendal furniture; Andrea Amati violin, about 1564.
The costume collection includes men’s, women’s and children’s costume and accessories dating from 1720 to recent times.
The Gallery also holds occasional Exhibitions – please see separate posts
Caption: Tullie House by Simon Huguet
- Open: Monday – Saturday 10.00 am – 5.00 pm; Sunday 11.00 am – 5.00 pm
- Location: Tullie House, Carlisle
- Cost: Children under 18 – Free; Adult Annual Ticket – £10.00; Adult Day Visit – £6.50; Group Rate (10+) – £5.00 per person; Student Group Rate (10+) – £4.50 per student. Includes admission to all exhibitions
- Directions The gallery is close to the town centre and is within walking distance of the rail station and bus route
- Contact: Tullie House Museum & Art Gallery, Castle Street, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3 8TP. Tel: 01228 618718; email: email@example.com