An Arts & Crafts Story
The Arts & Crafts Story is told through examples of the finest objects from the period, including designs by the father of the movement William Morris, his contemporary Charles Annesley Voysey and objects designed by Blackwell’s architect, MH Baillie Scott.
This display highlights key people whose passion and enthusiasm for the individual handmade object, made the Arts & Crafts a highly influential international design movement. You will learn about the Arts & Crafts movement through craftsmanship, sense of place, design unity and nature, and get a deeper understanding of Blackwell.
The project is supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
- Re-opened 18 May 2021; opening times: 10.00 am – 5.00 pm daily. Booking is essential
- Adults: £9.00 / £9.90 (with Gift Aid); Friends, Patrons & Benefactors FREE; Family (one adult & up to three children): £15.50 / £17.05 (with Gift Aid); Family (two adults & up to three children): £24.00 / £26.95 (with Gift Aid); Students: 7.00 / £7.70 (with Gift Aid); Children <15 £4.50 / £4.95 (with Gift Aid); Children < 4 Free; National Art Pass 50% discount
- Location Blackwell, The Arts & Crafts House, Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria LA23 3J
- Getting there by car From the south: Exit the M6 at junction 36 and follow signs for the South Lakes and Windermere. At the roundabout take the ﬁrst left following signs for Crook and Bowness-on-Windermere on the B5284. After 6 miles arrive at a T-junction, turn left on to the A5074 (Lyth Valley Road). Turn right where the road forks onto the B5360. Follow the drive to Blackwell’s car park. From the north: Exit the M6 at junction 40 and follow signs for Keswick (A66) and Windermere (A591) via Grasmere and Ambleside. Once in Windermere follow signs for Bowness-on-Windermere. Once in Bowness-on-Windermere follow the road to Blackwell which is situated just off the A5074 (Lyth Valley Road) and turn right where the road forks onto the B5360. Follow the drive to Blackwell’s car park. By train: Oxenholme is the nearest main-line railway station, a connecting train will bring you into Windermere (three miles from Blackwell). Buses run to Bowness-on-Windermere, 1½ miles north of Blackwell. Alternatively taxis are available from Windermere Station to Blackwell
- For more information please call 015394 46139