Master Arts & Crafts Bedroom
Introduced by Blackwell in 2016 is the Master Arts & Crafts bedroom inspired from Baillie Scott’s designs and interpreted by contemporary designers. The bedroom display has been established in the room that was originally the master bedroom when the Holts enjoyed Blackwell as their holiday home.
Blackwell has worked with a a textile historian and Arts & Crafts specialists to imagine what a master bedroom may have looked like if Baillie Scott had been commissioned to create such a space at yhe house. The room has retained its original features of a fireplace inglenook with tiles by William De Morgan, wooden panelling, wooden window seat, oak floor and carved ceiling. The central feature is an oak bed which has been especially commissioned from an actual design by Baillie Scott, taken from the Pyghtle Works catalogue printed in 1901. On loan is a copy of this important record of the furniture designed by Baillie Scott and made by J.P. White at the Pyghtle Works, which is also on display.
- Re-opened 18 May 2021; opening times: 10.00 am – 5.00 pm daily. Booking is essential
- Adults: £9.00 / £9.90 (with Gift Aid); Friends, Patrons & Benefactors FREE; Family (one adult & up to three children): £15.50 / £17.05 (with Gift Aid); Family (two adults & up to three children): £24.00 / £26.95 (with Gift Aid); Students: 7.00 / £7.70 (with Gift Aid); Children <15 £4.50 / £4.95 (with Gift Aid); Children < 4 Free; National Art Pass 50% discount
- Location Blackwell, The Arts & Crafts House, Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria LA23 3J
- Getting there by car From the south: Exit the M6 at junction 36 and follow signs for the South Lakes and Windermere. At the roundabout take the ﬁrst left following signs for Crook and Bowness-on-Windermere on the B5284. After 6 miles arrive at a T-junction, turn left on to the A5074 (Lyth Valley Road). Turn right where the road forks onto the B5360. Follow the drive to Blackwell’s car park. From the north: Exit the M6 at junction 40 and follow signs for Keswick (A66) and Windermere (A591) via Grasmere and Ambleside. Once in Windermere follow signs for Bowness-on-Windermere. Once in Bowness-on-Windermere follow the road to Blackwell which is situated just off the A5074 (Lyth Valley Road) and turn right where the road forks onto the B5360. Follow the drive to Blackwell’s car park. By train: Oxenholme is the nearest main-line railway station, a connecting train will bring you into Windermere (three miles from Blackwell). Buses run to Bowness-on-Windermere, 1½ miles north of Blackwell. Alternatively taxis are available from Windermere Station to Blackwell
- For more information please call 015394 46139