Beyond Lakeland by Helen Fryer
12 April – 12 June 2021
Beyond Lakeland is an exhibition of landscape paintings by Helen Fryer, inspired by walking her dog in all weathers throughout the year in northern Cumbria. The exhibition also contains some works representing the west coast of Scotland which she visits regularly. All are mixed media, using acrylic ink and chalk pastels.
Born and brought up in Cumbria, Helen left the county at the age of 18 to study Geography at Manchester University. After years living in and exploring various parts of the UK she has now returned to her roots.
The land sandwiched between the Solway and the ‘Back ‘o’ Skiddaw’ is one she knows intimately and has been hugely influential in her work, despite initially being better known for her depictions of the west coast of Scotland.
Her landscapes are highly evocative, full of atmosphere and alive with movement. They are usually unpeopled, depicting those wild, remote places which she loves to explore. Helen has spent many hours walking, sailing, cycling and cross country skiing in all weathers. She has climbed all 284 Scottish Munros (mountains over 3000 feet) and has sailed extensively off the west coast of Scotland, all the while observing and experiencing the best and worst of British weather, which she is not afraid to express in her work.
Her language of mark making is distinctive and self taught. Initially, she works in rapid, sweeping, almost frantic movements, using her hands to apply the chalk pastel and acrylic ink. A basic image emerges very quickly, but the pace then slows and her technique becomes more considered, until the piece is compositionally and tonally balanced. The resulting work has been exhibited widely in the UK.
Helen was recently featured in Cumbria Life, see article here.
- The gardens, Severn Studio and The Treasury are all now open. Tickets can be booked here
- Open daily 10.30 am to 5.00 pm (closed Mondays and Tuesdays during mid November to mid March, as well as Christmas & Boxing day)
- Costs: Access to the gardens and Severn Studio – £6.20 for adults £5.00 for students and free for children (16 and under); Combined house and gardens ticket, including access to all exhibition spaces – with a timed slot entry to the house & blue gallery – Adults £8.70, Students £7, Child (16 years and under) Free
- Location Brantwood, Coniston, Cumbria LA21 8AD
- For more information please call 015394 41396; email: email@example.com