Nordic Craft and Design
6 July 2018 – 7 July 2019
Highlighting the superb quality and creativity inherent in design from the region.
Showcasing furniture, fashion, lighting, ceramics, glass, metalwork and jewellery, Nordic Craft and Design highlights the superb quality and creativity inherent in design from the region and features pieces from 1930 to the present day. Designers and crafts people from Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden will be represented, as well as other makers who are inspired by Nordic design.
Manchester Art Gallery’s collection will be complemented with national and international loans. Iconic pieces by Alvar Aalto, Tapio Wirkkala, Arne Jacobson and Vuokko Nurmesniemi, will sit alongside contemporary pieces by Mathias Bengtsson, Anu Penttinen, Peter Jensen and Henrik Vibskov. The thematic approach will investigate similarities and differences in approaches across different media and countries, while highlighting the unifying philosophy of good design to enhance quality of life.
This exhibition was made possible with a Jonathan Ruffer Curatorial research Grant from Art Fund. Realised with the support of Tamares Real Estate and Zabludowicz Collection. Supported by the Norwegian Embassy London.
Caption: Poul Henningsen PH Artichoke lamp for Louis Poulsen. Designed 1957
- Opening times Tuesday to Sunday 10 am to 5.00 pm
- Location Manchester Art Gallery, Mosley Street, Manchester M2 3JL
- How to get there: By Metrolink – St Peter’s Square or Market Street stations are the nearest Metrolink stations-both are on the Altrincham and Eccles lines; By Bus – Nearest bus stops are in Piccadilly Gardens or on Princess Street; By Train – to Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Oxford Road or Manchester Victoria stations – take the Metrolink from Victoria or Piccadilly (Altrincham or Eccles direction) to Market Street or St Peter’s Square; By Car – parking is available at the NCP car parks on Chepstow Street, Faulkner Street or Sackville Street – all are within five minutes of the gallery
- This is a free exhibition
- Further information 0161 235 8888