Expect the Unexpected: A Chance Exhibition
29 June – 29 September 2019
An eclectic and provocative exhibition of work by visual artists who incorporate elements of chance in their work, inspired by John Cage’s hugely influential performance piece 4’ 33”.
Seemingly four and a half minutes of silence, Cage’s work is in fact comprised of all the chance ambient noises from within the auditorium and from the audience – each performance is different to the last.
Expect the Unexpected features artists including Yoko Ono, Keith Tyson, Gillian Wearing and Greig Burgoyne – all of whom have also knowingly incorporated an element of chance into their work. Alongside film, painting, sculpture, performance and photography is a newly commissioned interactive artwork by Manchester’s own Easy Peel, and an opportunity for you to contribute your own unique version of Cage’s 4’ 33”.
- Opening times Sunday to Friday 11 am to 5.00 pm; Saturday 10 am to 5 pm
- Location The Lowry, Salford Quays, Salford M50 3AZ
- Getting there: By Metrolink – via the Eccles and MediaCityUK lines; By Train – from all stations take the Metrolink; By Bus – check bus routes and timetables with GMPTE; By Waxi – watertaxi timetable
- This is a free exhibition
- Further information 0843 208 6000