The State of Us
9 November 2019 – 23 February 2020
A Group Exhibition
From grotesque to the wonderful, these digital artists examine how the body and self are transformed, manipulated, reinvented and reshaped to create a new ‘self’, to reshape our human connection – for better or worse.
We have become engineers of our own humanity. Through intervention we are seeing the imbalance of ‘truth’ in the definition of what we are. Mary Shelley wrote in Frankenstein the body is a ‘workshop of filthy creation’ – never has this been truer in the digital age.
Through time, natural evolution has shaped the world we live and as a consequence the human species, but now human intervention is overriding natural laws of selection. The balance has tipped towards ‘engineered evolution’ by a single species, as technology intervention surpasses the rate of nature and rewrites the laws of evolution.
You can download an Exhibition Guide here.
Caption: Amy Karle, Regenerative Reliquary
- Opening times Sunday to Friday 11 am to 5.00 pm; Saturday 10 am to 5 pm
- Location The Lowry, Salford Quays, Salford M50 3AZ
- Getting there: By Metrolink – via the Eccles and MediaCityUK lines; By Train – from all stations take the Metrolink; By Bus – check bus routes and timetables with GMPTE; By Waxi – watertaxi timetable
- This is a free exhibition
- Further information 0843 208 6000