Pulling Pictures Apart
Friday 22 February 2013
Assembly Rooms, Lytham
An interactive Special Interest Day which will consist of a variety of fun, information and stimulating activities in which everyone is able to participate.
The three activities will involve pulling pictures apart into COLOUR, LIGHT, FORM and SUBJECT MATTER. YOUR CRITICAL FACULTIES WILL BE STRE-E-E-TCHED IN ALL DIRECTIONS !!!!!
By the end of the day you will be far more aware of the visual language that artists use. You do not need to be an art historian or an artist to enjoy the day. You just need a love of art and a playful temperament!
Our lecturer is Alexandra Drysdale, a graduate of Chelsea College of Art where she gained a 1st Class BA (Hons) in Fine Art, and an MFA from the Cambridge School of Art, Anglia Ruskin University. In 2007 she lectured for the Australian DFAS and more recently, in 2012, undertook an artist’s residency in Australia following on from her previous ADFAS Tour.
Lexa is a professional artist specialising in sculpture and performance. She is currently developing a collaborative piece with another artist which is inspired by Nicholas Poussin’s painting “Dance in the Music of Time” in the Wallace Collection, London. The project will involve sculpture, film and live performance.
Her lectures combine art historical knowledge with personal aesthetics and artistic techniques. It is this combination that makes her lectures so original and dynamic. Her lectures aim to open people’s eyes to the language of painting in a practical and imaginative way.
Lexa lives in Cambridge and is an active studio artist at the Wysing Arts Centre, Cambridgeshire. Further details are available on Alexander’s web site here.
Programme for the Day
- 9.45 am Registration. Tea/ coffee and light refreshments will be served on arrival
- 10.15 am Lecture 1 – in the Dicconson Room where tables of 8 places will be set out. Attendees are asked to bring a few simple drawing materials but paper will be provided
- 11.20 am Short comfort break
- 11.45 am Lecture 2 in the Dicconson Room
- 12.5 0pm End of morning session
- 1.00 pm Lunch break – optional pre-booked lunches will be served in the Ribble Room. Additional table space is available for those wishing to bring their own packed lunch. Tea/ coffee will be available as required.
- 2.00 pm Lecture 3 in the Dicconson Room
- 3.15 pm Tea/ coffee/cake will be served
- 3.30 pm End of the Workshop day
Attendees are kindly asked to bring the following items:
- Set of coloured crayons, not pastels
- 2 pencils, one HB and one 4B; ie, one hard and one soft for dark and light shading
- Pencil sharpener
Sheets of computer paper of 100grm weight will be provided.
NB. This workshop is not about making a beautiful picture so there is no need to bring top quality materials.
Below are photos of this Special Interest Day