Visit to the Grand Theatre, Blackpool
Tuesday 19 November 2019
The Grand Theatre, Blackpool is celebrating its 125th year and following our September lecture Frank Matcham’s Masterpieces: Theatre Design & Architecture in Britain, we have arranged a visit to this cultural gem. Members will enjoy displays, talks and tours, and hear about the past, present and future of the Theatre and its breadth of its work.
- 10.00 am: Arrival and coffee in The Space (enter via Matcham Court)
- 10.30 am: Looking back – Linda Tolson speaks about the Theatre Timeline
- 11.15 am: Tours of the Theatre and a chance to browse the displays in the auditorium. Please note tours will be in groups of about 15 people; also please note that back stage tours involve a number of flights of stairs
- 12.45: Buffet lunch
- 2.00 pm: Since the programme was first put together, we have arranged for Professor Vanessa Toulmin to present a lecture on ‘Pleasure Palaces of the North West’. Professor Toulmin holds the Chair of Early Film and Popular Entertainment at the University of Sheffield and is an historian and international expert on Film and Popular Entertainment. She is acting chair of The Winter Gardens Preservation Trust in Morecambe.
- 3.00 pm: Tea
- 3.15 pm: Theatre Chief Executive Ruth Eastwood will speak about the future of the Theatre and about its work with young people
Cost is £30 per person, which includes refreshments and a buffet lunch. Please note that no travel arrangements are included.
Further information and a booking form can be downloaded here.
Caption: The Grand Theatre, Blackpool by Tony Hisgett – Flickr