More honours awarded at Drawn From Youth 5 (2015)
The fifth Drawn From Youth exhibition was officially opened on 11 March 2015 by Nick Kowalski, Head of Art BA Studies, Blackpool & Fylde College.
The exhibition showcases sixth form work from schools in Blackpool and the Fylde, which has been submitted to the 2015 RBA (Royal Society of British Artists) Annual Exhibition. Participating schools include:
- AKS, Lytham St Annes
- Baines School, Poulton-le-Fylde
- Blackpool Sixth Form College, Blackpool
- Cardinal Newman College, Preston
- Carr Hill High School & Sixth Form Centre, Kirkham
- Lytham St Annes Technology & Performing Arts College
- Rossall School, Fleetwood
Local students have won three RBA Awards over the last four years and this year, two students have been successful – Heather Stephenson of Blackpool Sixth Form College with her portrait ‘Dad’ and Beth Kidd of Cardinal Newman College, Preston with another portrait, ‘Girl With Brown Hair’. Both of these artists will have their works displayed at London’s Mall Galleries, 11- 21 March 2105.
In addition to congratulating Heather Stephenson and Beth Kidd for each winning one of the prestigious Mall Galleries places, Fylde DFAS also awarded three additional prizes to artists who have demonstrated the most original work whilst combining technical and artistic expertise. The three winners are: ‘Rough Seas’ and also ‘The Fleet’ by Stephanie Hockenhull (AKS); ‘Eleven Marbles’ by Theresa Amatello (Cardinal Newman); and ‘Ceramic Chainmail’ by Jack Ranby (AKS).
The judges were:
- Colin Binns, contemporary artist; former UCLAN lecturer art/art history
- Deborah Lawton, fashion/design/retail, Goldsmith College
- Phil O’Brian, graphic designer, Heckford Printers
As well as winning a place at the Mall Galleries exhibition, Beth Kidd has also gained recognition for another of her artworks. ‘Gagged’ has been entered for a second judgment at the National Portrait Gallery, London.