Julie Brook: What Is It That Will Last?
20 May – 30 December 2023
What is it That Will Last? is an exhibition spanning recent works made by Julie Brook in the Outer Hebrides, in the Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan and Cumbria.
Running throughout the galleries of Abbot Hall, What is it That Will Last? offers an insight into an extraordinary and ongoing body of work that is often created in remote places. Incorporating film, sound, photography and drawing, the visitor is invited to explore the artist’s deep and immersive relationship with the landscape.
Brook’s work frequently emerges from her inhabitation of a landscape and its materials. Exposed to the full range of natural forces, these works are often transient in character, or eventually eroded by the elements.
This exhibition signals a fresh direction for Abbot Hall as it aligns its programme towards exploring landscape and identity. Works from the gallery’s collection that have been selected with Brook will be on display, including pieces by John Ruskin, Barbara Hepworth, JMW Turner, Frank Auerbach and Elizabeth Frink.
The exhibition coincides with the publication of the book What is it That Will Last? Land and Tidal Art of Julie Brook. This publication offers a rich and expansive visual record of Julie Brook’s artistic practice and proposes a unique collaboration between Brook and distinct voices from the nature writing and craftsmanship traditions. Find out more about the book on Lund Humphries.
Out of the Ground, A thread of Air
Experience this monumental outdoor sculpture in the ancient deer park at Holker Hall & Gardens. Created by Julie Brook as part of her current exhibition What is it That Will Last? it offers a rare chance to interact with one of her large scale pieces.
The sculpture was commissioned by Lakeland Arts in collaboration with the Holker Group and Burlington Stone. Made from stone which has been excavated from quarries in Brathay and Kirkby-in Furness, the piece reflects the ecology of the local Cumbrian landscape.
- Opening times: 10am-4pm, Wednesday – Saturday (from 24 May 2023); Opening weekend: 10am-4pm Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 May 2023; Annual closure dates: 25 – 26 December 2024. The gallery also closes for two weeks collection care and maintenance at the start of January every year
- Admission: You can book your gallery tickets online or buy on the day: £9 Adult; £7 Student; £4.50 Child (5-15yrs); £0 Child (0-4yrs); Free for Lakeland Arts Members; With a National Art Pass you get 50% off day admission
- Location: Abbot Hall, Kirkland, Kendal LA9 5AL. Parking: Pay and display parking in the Abbot Hall car park – there are parking spaces for Blue Badge holders
- For more information please call 015394 722464. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram @abbothall; Facebook @abbothall