Tate Liverpool: Collections
Tate Liverpool is now open at RIBA North, Mann Island, while its Albert Dock home is temporarily closed for redevelopment. Directions for getting there are available here The galleries are open Monday – Sunday 10.00 – 17.30. Admission is free.
The Tate holds the national collection of British art from 1500 to the present day, and international modern and contemporary art.
British art is represented by artists chosen for their contribution to its history and development, rather than their nationality alone. The collection has recently expanded its holdings of modern and contemporary artworks from Africa, Asia Pacific, Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and South Asia.
The collections can be browsed online.
As well as offering free displays, the Liverpool Tate also hosts a rolling programme of major exhibitions. Please see separate posts for further information. Free guided tours are available, as are talks and films.
Throughout 2024, Tate Liverpool will be undergoing an ambitious transformation led by 6a architects. When complete, this project will reimagine the gallery to meet the scale and ambition of today’s most exciting artists. A new art hall on the ground floor will welcome visitors into a 21st century museum, with gallery spaces over three floors showcasing the incredible diversity of Tate’s collection, and public spaces for learning, play and relaxation offering spectacular views across the Mersey. Environmental standards and thermal performance will be significantly improved, while opening up and celebrating the world-class heritage of this 180-year-old building. While the museum is closed in 2024, Tate Liverpool will also stage events and one-off projects in collaboration with other spaces in the city.
- Opening times: Tuesday to Sunday 10.00 am –5.30 pm; Timed tickets or membership cards are required to enter the galleries for both the free collection and paid exhibitions.
- Entry is free with a charge for exhibitions
- Location Tate Liverpool, Albert Dock, Liverpool L3 4BB
- Getting there: By train – The nearest station is James Street station, Liverpool L27PQ (720 metres approx.) – mainline rail tickets to Liverpool Lime Street station are valid for travel to James Street Station; By bus – Liverpool ONE Bus Station on Canning Street is directly opposite the Albert Dock, approximately 365 metres from Tate Liverpool. Route C4 also stops at the Albert Dock; By car – follow the brown signs to the Waterfront – the Q-Park Liverpool ONE in Strand Street is close by; By ferry – Mersey Ferries from Seacombe and Woodside on the Wirral call at the Pier Head (960 metres approx.)
- For more information please call 0151 702 7400